Saturday, April 14, 2012

Balance.

I was 22 years old. Fresh out of college, I decided to take an adventure, traveling (eating and drinking) my way through Europe and Israel for 2 months. My appetite for adventure barely quenched, I bought a one-way ticket to Honolulu where my boyfriend had moved to be a dolphin trainer (yep).

Six months later my mom came to visit. I meet her at the airport. She leans in. Whispers. “Have you gained weight?”

The loving touch of a mother, right? Later I went to her hotel which had a gym and a scale, neither of which I had seen for months. Twenty pounds overweight. Ouch.

While my boyfriend had all along been too nice to tell me what I already knew, even with the constant exclamations of “How do I look?”... “Am I fat?”... “Does this bikini look bad?” Mom had come right out and said it.

I needed a change.

...Fast forward five years. I did lose the weight, and I’d even venture to say that I lost it fast with a steady regime of exercise and healthy eating. But that’s not what this blog is about, because anyone can Google weight loss and healthy eating tips. This blog is about thinking about eating right and exercising as a lifestyle and as a daily part of your routine - then it’s not a diet.

A favorite example (because I love going to good restaurants and drinking wine): Know you’re going to your favorite Italian restaurant tonight? Mine happens to be Scott Conant’s restaurant Scarpetta in the Meatpacking. The spaghetti is... tomato & basil perfection. I would never order anything else. And yes! I would like another basket of fresh baked bread and stromboli! And yes! More olive oil to soak it in! And yes! Another bottle of wine, please!

There will be fruit for breakfast and a light salad for lunch. Balance is really that easy.

Throughout the journey of this blog, I will explore my challenges with balance- and maybe try to have two glasses of wine instead of four (I did say TRY:)). I do also have a beach vacay coming up, and would like to rock that bikini, so stay tuned in for updates on my progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment