Sunday, April 22, 2012

The Big Plate Dilemma



The problem with US serving sizes is that usually they are too big for one person and two small to be shared by two!!

Yummy Pasta
Today I ordered a pesto based pasta with smoked salmon. (Before you judge – it was whole-wheat penne!). I thought that sounded healthy enough, as I don’t usually consume anything whole-wheat or smoked! After devouring three-fourths of my pasta, I had reached that satisfactory level where you are full but not overstuffed. That was the downfall of the ‘new healthy thinking me’. 

I look down at my plate, and I have this small portion of food left. Too small to pack up and take away for the next meal but big enough to ensure I pop a button or two of my pants. So, what do I do?  Exactly what any other obedient child would… I decide that this is the right moment, for the first time in 27 years, to listen to what my mother dearest has been trying to teach me since I was 4: “Don’t waste food. Do you know how many people are starving around the world?” So the good girl that I am, I dig in and eat up!!!

Needless to say that didn’t end well. Although I didn’t pop any buttons, let’s just say I have a crease mark caused by the waistband of my jeans that will probably be imprinted on my body forever!!! My new physical scars have made me inclined to add another goal to my list. So here it is…

Controlled Portions
#5 Before I start inhaling my food, I will divide my food into 2 portions: one that should be consumed then and another that should be stored away for a future meal. Carrying this process out on 2 meals will leave me with enough left overs to cover a third meal. So not only am I eating controlled portions but I am also saving money!

 Great advice for the healthy and the broke!!

That’s it from me for today! Cheers and keep listening to your mom!

No comments:

Post a Comment