Saturday, April 28, 2012

The crazy adventure of a vegan restaurant

Taking a non vegan to a vegan restaurant can be quite an adventure – for the non vegan. They approach it as if they’re visiting a new country. They ask you questions in preparation, “What’s it like there? Is the food good? What do they even cook with? Will I be full? Will I need to get a slice of pizza afterward? If there’s no cheese, animals or eggs what does that leave?” These questions get more frequent the closer you get. Then there’s the “I’ve never done this before. So exciting!” Yes, eating food is exciting.

Last night I had the pleasure of trying a vegan restaurant with my non vegan friend, Gina. She was excited and skeptical but all in. I tried to preemptively defend vegans by telling her how for some yes, it was a lifestyle but for others, including me, it’s not what defined them but rather a healthy diet we embraced, and that a lot of vegans are normal people. So of course when we arrived the place was filled with vegan stereotypes, including silent, sulking man whose style resembled that of my grandmother.

That being said Angelica Kitchen is nicely decorated and has a welcoming feel. Unfortunately they don’t take credit cards or serve booze. After some yelling at the waitress for not having alcohol and how would I survive we decided to order an appetizer, the walnut-lentil pate with tofu sour cream. It was the shit. I’m not sure if Gina even got to try it because I was too busy shoveling it into my mouth. Delicious.


Next up, Gina ordered the sushi and I a Japanese soba noodle dish. Gina gave the sushi the thumbs up but I was pretty disappointed with my soba thing. It just tasted like someone dumped a bunch of soy sauce on noodles and said "Viola! Amazing vegan goodness!" Not so much. That being said it wasn’t gross or anything, just not great.

Afterward, Gina and I hit up a bar in the neighborhood to fill our bellies with beer then parted ways. I have yet to hear if she grabbed a slice of pizza on her walk home.

Nice Headdress

No comments:

Post a Comment